Ready to take your workout program to the next level? Cross training can produce numerous significant benefits ranging from preventing burnout to improving overall fitness.
Cross training refers to a training routine that includes several different forms of exercise. It’s common to settle on one particular workout program when you begin a fitness regimen, but a lack of variation over time can lead to boredom (which means you may lose interest and stop exercising), and causes you to plateau at a certain fitness level.
Cross training allows you to vary the stress placed on certain muscles – as well as your cardiovascular system. This limits the stress that occurs on a specific muscle group because different activities use muscles in somewhat different ways. It also helps reduce the risk of injury from repetitive strain or overuse.
Other benefits of cross training include:
- Flexibility in accommodating your training needs and plans
- Produces a higher level of overall conditioning
- Works some muscles while others rest and recover
- Increases your basal metabolic rate
- Improves your agility and balance
There are basic types of exercise that make up a good cross training routine:
- Strength training
- Flexibility (stretching, yoga)
- Speed, agility and balance drills
- Circuit training, sprinting and other kinds of skill conditioning
A convenient way to get a total cross training workout that meets your needs and will help best achieve your fitness goals is to check out the classes at your favorite Future Fitness location. Our experienced instructors will lead you through a series of routines utilizing a variety of exercises and exercise equipment. You can achieve all the advantages that cross training provides in one convenient place!