At Future Fitness Centers, one of our most popular cardio fitness classes is Spinning®. Created over 15 years ago, today nearly 1,000,000 people around the world ride on a Spinner® bike and participate in an indoor group cycling classes each day. An incredible calorie burner — a typical Spinning class burns over 600 calories in just 40 minutes. It’s an excellent way to train and build in endurance at the gym during the cooler fall and winter seasons. No wonder the American College of Sports Medicine names indoor cycling one of the top fitness trends for women!
And you don’t need to be Lance Armstrong to enjoy the benefits. Indoor group cycling classes are great for beginner bikers and advanced cycling enthusiasts of all ages. And while Spinning classes do not require any special skills, workout gear or abilities — all you have to do is simply show up to class and take a seat on the saddle of a stationary bike — consider the following five tips and pointers to help take your cycling workout to the next level.
- Think circles. Rather than jamming your feet up and down on the pedals, think about spinning in smooth, fluid circles. Push your foot down on the pedal, then pull your foot through to the end of the stroke, then pull up and back around.
- Keep your chin up! Keep your gaze straight ahead and resist the urge to put your head down when your workout gets tough or your body grows tired. Looking down can slow your oxygen intake, causing your body to fatigue quicker. Not to mention, it’s a hazard if you’re cycling on the road!
- Stabilize your torso. To maximize core performance, keep your upper body still – resist the urge to rock from side to side. Maintain a flat back and keep your elbows bent and relaxed. Keeping your upper body relaxed will reduce strain on your lower back.
- Don’t forget to breathe. Breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth. This is the most effective way to deliver oxygen to working muscles and helps you maintain a relaxed, fluid pedaling rhythm.
- Stay hydrated. Spinning studios tend to be very high in temperature and humidity. Therefore, it is quite normal to sweat much more than you are used to. We recommend that you consume 40 ounces of water before, during and after your workout.
Are you ready to roll?
Come to a class! All of Future Fitness’ Spinning classes are posted on our group exercise class schedule. With six locations and over 40 Spinning classes a week, all taught by a variety of skilled and certified and experienced fitness instructors, there’s bound to Future Fitness Spinning program that’s the right fit for you!